An island for everyone!
Arrangements in the cities
For several years, many arrangements have been realised in order to make the island accessible for all. The island 4 cities have launched a city centre accessibility program, and the Tourist Office of Noirmoutier island is also engaged into this process.
Enjoying the island, its nautical or land activities, when you have disabilities, it is also possible…
The tiralo (floating wheelchair) is a wheelchair whose manoeuvring on the beaches and in the water depends on another responsible person.
It is thanks to this person's help and to the respect of elementary security instructions that the disabled passenger, comfortably seated and in the water up to half-body, will enjoy the pleasures of the sea like everybody else!
The access to beaches and bathing are thus eased:
- Plage de l'Océan in Barbâtre: tiralo – booking in Barbâtre city hall – +332 51 39 68 58
- Plage de la Court in La Guérinière: tiralo – booking at the Musée des traditions de l'île (Noirmoutier island traditions Museum) in la Guérinière - +332 51 39 41 39
- Plage Saint-Jean, plage du Devin and plage de l'Océan in l'Épine: tiralo – booking at Port de Morin harbour master's office - +332 51 35 81 26
- Plage des Sableaux in Noirmoutier en l'île: tiralo – in peak-season, put at the bathers' disposal by the aid station, under the surveillance of the lifeguards during business hours (from July, 1st to August, 31st from 1:30pm to 7pm) - +332 51 54 45 10
- Plage du Mardi Gras in Le Vieil: hippocampe (cross-country wheelchair used only for bathing, but that doesn't float) – Put at the public's disposal by Le Vieil beach club during their opening hours: Monday to Saturday noon from 9:30am to 12pm and from 3pm to 6pm - +336 22 25 44 73.
- Plage de la Pointe in l'Herbaudière: planking put in place in May for the summer season to enter the beach.
You will find on the island's map all the spots to practise tiralo.
The island also has two joëlettes. Tiralo's cousin, they allow the person with reduced mobility to practise walk ramble. Available for private individuals and groups. For all information, please contact Mr Jean CHATEIGNER at +332 51 39 89 67 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tourism and Handicap label
The Tourism and Handicap Label, delivered by the State, identifies the equipment and touristic destinations accessible to people with motor, optical, auditive or mental disabilities. On the island, some establishments have this national label.
Other establishments on the island, without having this label, have perfectly accessible premises. Make enquiries at the Tourist Office.
- Mme PENISSON Maison individuelle 6 pers - Beaulieu